Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Juice Fast: Day One

Yesterday was day 1 of my 7-10 day juice fast. I have to admit that it was a lot harder than I anticipated, but I will get to that later.  My friend Keri from massage school actually gave me a Hamilton Beach juicer that she had purchased at a Good Will and then never used.  I had a slight inclination that this juicer wasn't going to produce good juice, but it was free so I was willing to give it a try.  Plus, I didn't want to spend the money on a new juicer until I was sure that I would enjoy juicing and I can now confidently tell you, after just 1 day that I LOVE juicing. 


For breakfast I used the Hamilton Beach juicer, but the prep time was ridiculous.  Because the entry at the top is so small I had to cut everything up into tiny pieces.  Then when I juiced my apples it created a LOT of foam, which had to be spooned out of my glass when I was done.  I decided then and there that I was going to order a new juicer.  I knew in advance that I would probably end up wanting to order a juicer, so I did a lot of research in preparation for this moment.  Well, yesterday I ordered the Breville Juice Fountain Plus.  Right before I ordered I decided to look around for coupons online and found a 20% off coupon...SCORE!  I can't wait for my new toy to arrive since HB isn't cutting it.  In the mean time I'm resorting to going to Whole Foods for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.  Thank goodness it is convenient to my office. 


So, I'm sure most of you are wondering how I'm feeling.  I'm not going to lie...Day 1 was hard!  The day started out good, but around lunch I quickly felt my sugar level drop, therefore my energy took a nose dive.  Around 3pm, I hit a wall and was really struggling to get through the day.  I developed a slight headache and my tongue felt like it was coated in felt.  Around 5:30 I went to the gym for a VERY light workout and I actually felt better afterwards.  I think the hardest part of the day is fighting off the hunger pains.  My tummy was growling and hissing at me from lunch on, but if anything I am learning self discipline during this whole process....which I need, especially when it comes to sweets.


Each day I'm going to post the juices that I have made/purchased.  Hopefully this will inspire some of you to try juicing.


Breakfast:
3 Apples
2 Carrots
1/2 Beet


Lunch:
2 handfuls of Kale
Shot of Wheatgrass
3 Carrots
1 inch of Ginger
1 Peeled Lemon


Dinner:
2 handfuls of Kale
1/2 Lemon
4 or 5 Carrots
1 Apple


Note:  Kale is pretty bitter, so it is always good to add a sweet apple to balance the flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment