Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Zucchini Pie

While I was waiting on the stain to dry on my patio project, I decided to put some effort into making my lunch.  The weekend before was my annual girls weekend with some of my closest friends from college.  As I've mentioned before, I'm not one who dilly dally's in the kitchen too much, but my friends Candace and Lindsey LOVE it, so they did all of the cooking over the entire 3 day weekend.  What did I do?  I ATE myself stupid.


One of my favorite dishes that was made over the weekend was this super easy Zucchini Pie that Lindsey made.  She sent me the recipe from Real Simple while she was at the airport waiting to catch her flight back to Colorado.  Luckily I had all the ingredients needed at home except the Basil, so I left it out.  This dish is paired great with a salad for a light lunch.

Zucchini Pie
Ingredients
3 cups grated zucchini
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup all-purpose flour (I subbed whole wheat flour)
1 cup grated provolone cheese
3 eggs, beaten (I subbed 1 egg and 3 egg whites)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan
2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine all (reserve some Parmesan to sprinkle on top if you desire) ingredients in a large bowl and mix together thoroughly (don't be afraid to get your hands dirty). 

Pour/Spoon/Plop the mixture in a 10 inch pie pan (metal or glass), but don't forget to spray with vegetable cooking spray.  Spread evenly in pan.

Cook for 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown on top.  Cool 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.




Enjoy,
Candice


2 comments:

  1. this pie was so yummy. i'm ready to make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought some zucchini and looking for different ways to use it. I will add this to my recipe ideas. Stop by to LINK UP this awesome recipe.

    ReplyDelete